Sunday 23 October 2016

Publishing I: Print Media

Week 1- Week 3
Jessica Ngu Wei King (0323639) BGCD
Publishing I: Print Media
Project 1: Page Layout Design

Instructions/ Project Brief



Design Process

Mr. Ken required us to think of a concept which we want to achieve for this Project. For me, I want my concept to be clean and 'modern-feel'.


After sketching my layout, I started to do it in computer, using Adobe Illustrator. The one I did it digital was not as what I expected it to be (same as my sketches). The first attempt for the layout didn't turn out well as I felt like there are a lot of unnecessary empty spaces beside my self-portrait and right hand side. The headline (my name) are overlapping each other is to create interesting things in the layout, and opacity is adjusted to create contrast. 
For the second attempt, I tried to separate the photos and body text. Note that the quotation mark for the introduction goes into the left sided page, because I want to make it feel like the two pages are connected. Shape is used to create some modern and interesting things. However, I tried to fill up the 'funny white spaces', but it didn't turned out as what I expected as well. The middle part looks a bit airy. 
 I also used shapes for this layout design to create the modern feeling. This time, I combined the photos and text together. I think the white spaces are fine, but the right page looks heavy and imbalance overall. 
To fix the imbalance layout, I moved my self-portrait to the left side. I also thought that putting my self-portrait in the shape could make the layout more interesting. Well, for me the layout looks better compare to the one above, but still it looks heavy on the other side and also I've created funny blank space on the right. Maybe inserting captions would make it better?
For this, I tried to create more shapes. The color of the headline are changed to another color to make it stand out when overlapping on the picture. For me, this layout turned out quite well but it could be better if the spaces at the bottom is filled with captions.
I also tried to use a large 'J' letter to catch people's attention. Self-portrait coming out from the letter J makes it more fun and interesting. However, I think the two squared pictures makes the page on the left more heavy, makes the layout imbalance overall? I somehow like the grey transparent box in the middle, it gives me a magazine feeling. 
Using the same large letter 'J', but placing my name inside the letter with different color. It looks like I'm playing with the negative space. Self-portrait in the middle connects the two pages together. The introduction is align to the right to create a moving space between the introduction and the self portrait.  I also tried to make the body text more organized and placed it in a box. This layout design also turned out quite strong, and also gives me a magazine feeling, I like this layout. 
Playing with the same outlined box, I tried to separate the headline, with also shape on the right page to make it more interesting. I think this design is not as strong as the previous one. 
The last attempt, I try to make it more different than those previous designs. Using a line to cut out the picture, which is quite different from my previous ones. I thought that the empty spaces on top of my head and right beside my self-portrait can lead people's eyes to the right side. I think there are some potential in this layout, but the layout is still not so strong, and I couldn't tell where's the problem? 

Project 1: Final Outcome


No comments:

Post a Comment